[sudo-discuss] a lawyer has landed on our doorsteps

Autonomous autonomous666 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:42:50 PST 2014

Prior to meeting with the attorney it would be good to prepare a "purpose
statement" that describes the activities of SudoRoom that qualify for
non-profit status. A few other hackerspaces have acquired 501c3 status.
Here is an example:

The Geek Group provides access to science, technology, engineering and math
> by developing programming and facilities for individuals and institutions
> to learn, explore, innovate and play at an independent pace according to
> their needs.

http://thegeekgroup.org/about-2/mission-statement/

Obviously the educational activities of Sudo Room would qualify as a public
benefit or charitable purpose. There's also a number of other qualifying
purposes having to do with community welfare, defense of human and civil
rights secured by law and so on.

Once 501c3 status is obtained then it is possible under California law to
acquire tax a foreclosed property for the price of taxes due only. There
are a number of interesting properties available in Oakland that would
serve your purposes.