[sudo-discuss] Lost wax casting [was Re: robot arm]

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:12:44 PDT 2014

On the topic of lost wax casting...

If someone knows a jeweler who has the equipment to 3D print in wax and
then cast in metal, let me know! This is the process Shapeways uses for
their precious metal 3D prints, but they charge an arm and a leg for them.
I would love to be able to produce 3D printed jewelry at the same rates as
these guys have figured out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireandbone/fire-and-bone-tiny-digitally-captured-metal-animal

Also - you can totally do lost "wax" casting using 3D printed PLA instead
of wax!

Lost PLA Casting from 3D Prints <http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/>

Or you can even use low-melt alloys to cast directly into 3D printed ABS
molds:

Metal Casting with Your 3D Printer
<http://makezine.com/projects/guide-to-3d-printing-2014/metal-casting-with-your-3d-printer/>

Patrik

PS: The "Field's metal" mentioned in the last link is a non-toxic alloy
that melts at 144°F, and is named after its inventor, local South Bay mad
scientist Simon Quellen Field.