[sudo-discuss] Gittip spinoff seeks advice on democratic governance & bylaws for web applications

Rabbit rabbitface at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:13:04 PDT 2014

About this "not very invested" thing, I mean:

-- In large democratic organizations, participation can be low even though
decisions affect all the participants.  This happened in the Berkeley
Student Coops, for example.  How can everyone be encouraged to participate
and be informed when that takes time and effort and wading through lots of
boring stuff?  And problems can happen when suddenly the other 90% of
people show up to vote during a controversy but they're under-informed, but
of course we want their voices too.

-- If democratic participation requires a large investment of time (going
to all the meetings, reading every email), this disadvantages people who
don't have the privilege to spend all that time because of childcare, jobs,
etc.  How can they become informed and listened to?  The Gittip spinoff is
trying to focus on marginalized people and this issue has been mentioned a
few times already.

I expect that, like with a credit union, the vast majority of users of a
website like Gittip will just expect it to be well-run by other people and
won't put any effort into participating.  We want to make sure that there
are obvious on-ramps to participation and that participation is possible
for busy people.

More practically, the question is what legal and governance structures meet
these goals?  Who gets votes, how are they counted, etc.  Should people who
are receiving more donations through the site get more votes because they
might be depending on that income?  Can people create 50 accounts to get
more votes?

I'm only slightly involved in this project; just signal boosting for them.
 If you have ideas or resources or want to get involved, share them with
the people on IRC at freenode.#atunit

-Rabbit