[sudo-discuss] [OMNI] Proposals up for consensus:

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 01:46:27 PDT 2014

Would it be a friendly amendment to require that any 2/3 vote would only
take place after consensus has failed to be reached and the topic is
therefore tabled for one week?

The idea would be that we don't just try for consensus, get fed up, then
vote with 2/3 that same meeting. Instead, we have to wait a week to have a
2/3 vote anyhow, so might as well aim for the consensus with sincerely in
the first place. Further, this requires we be more understanding and
sensitive about the topic, without rush and anxiety, giving a chance for
folks to be more prepared and in-touch with the process and will of their
collective.

For the examples you provided, I think this is a consistent method, of
course with cases of "bans" there shouldn't be a problem since our "safe
space" policy, and any "code of conduct" should deny access to anyone from
whom a rapid ban would be required. Instead, bans can be slightly delayed
to ensure the wider community understands and accepts the response to
individuals' and groups' actions before resolving.

// Matt