[sudo-discuss] Pseudo Sudo Meeting + Postpone Meetings Until August?

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 01:13:34 PDT 2014

notes in-line:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks!
>
> Not enough people came to the meeting tonight to hold a true meeting and
> have quorum for approving our three new member requests. I heard that last
> week's meeting was also sparsely attended. Given that we're in a transition
> stage, should we consider postponing meetings until, say, August? (And just
> to get all meta/catch-22 on you, can we even make this decision without
> holding a meeting? The twilight zone...).

It makes sense to me to try to meet anyway, there are concerns and
conversations worth having, even for just a few people, and even without
quorum. Please continue to meet, and please form quorum if you're in town
so important decisions can be made!

> Anyway, here are some pseudo notes taken by Julio:
>
> People pseudo-present at Sudo Room meeting:
> +Vicky
> +Julio
> +Timothy
> +Elizabeth
> +Whitney
>
> TO-DO:
> +Vicky will scrub the wordpress to make sure it's clear that we are now at
> the new place (someone may have already done this)
> +Vicky will update the Google Place for Sudo Room
> +Julio will upload photos for how to access the new Sudo.
> +Julio will scrub Sudo Room Wiki and Oakland Wiki to make sure it's clear
> that Sudo Room is now at a new location.

Awesome! If folks want to collaborate to improve http://do.omni-oakland.org/
as well, let me know!

> NEW MEMBERS
> +Three prospective members (Timothy, Elizabeth, and Whitney) were waiting
> for a meeting that didn't happen due to lack of quorum (10 Sudo members)
> pursuant to the current process for becoming a member:
> https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.1.0_Process_for_becoming_a_member
>  +They will try again next week though Timothy suggested that we may
> consider having an acceptable process that does not require a quorum at a
> physical meeting. He had other ideas about making decisions collectively
> online, when necessary, using reddit or reddit-like tools (including one he
> recently coded, but is in beta).  Timothy will address the Sudo Room
> community via email with suggestions.

It's not a bad idea for decisions generally, especially for membership, to
put more of an asynchronous spin on it. On the other hand, is it clear to
these folks that you generally don't have to be a member to participate in
Sudo Room? There is simply a bit of an access restriction for the next few
months as we settle in.

Also check out https://loomio.org.

> +In the absence of an alternative process, it was suggested the
> prospective members ping the lists/IRC/etc to see if a meeting is actually
> happening in case that's their sole reason for coming to Sudo Room on any
> specific Wednesday.

That's a good idea for any purpose to attend the meeting as well, nice
advice!