[sudo-discuss] Pseudo Sudo Meeting + Postpone Meetings Until August?

Vicky Knox vknoxsironi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:16:12 PDT 2014

Hey folks!

Not enough people came to the meeting tonight to hold a true meeting and
have quorum for approving our three new member requests. I heard that last
week's meeting was also sparsely attended. Given that we're in a transition
stage, should we consider postponing meetings until, say, August? (And just
to get all meta/catch-22 on you, can we even make this decision without
holding a meeting? The twilight zone...). Anyway, here are some pseudo
notes taken by Julio:

People pseudo-present at Sudo Room meeting:
+Vicky
+Julio
+Timothy
+Elizabeth
+Whitney

TO-DO:
+Vicky will scrub the wordpress to make sure it's clear that we are now at
the new place (someone may have already done this)
+Vicky will update the Google Place for Sudo Room
+Julio will upload photos for how to access the new Sudo.
+Julio will scrub Sudo Room Wiki and Oakland Wiki to make sure it's clear
that Sudo Room is now at a new location.

NEW MEMBERS
+Three prospective members (Timothy, Elizabeth, and Whitney) were waiting
for a meeting that didn't happen due to lack of quorum (10 Sudo members)
pursuant to the current process for becoming a member:
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.1.0_Process_for_becoming_a_member
+They will try again next week though Timothy suggested that we may
consider having an acceptable process that does not require a quorum at a
physical meeting. He had other ideas about making decisions collectively
online, when necessary, using reddit or reddit-like tools (including one he
recently coded, but is in beta).  Timothy will address the Sudo Room
community via email with suggestions.
+In the absence of an alternative process, it was suggested the prospective
members ping the lists/IRC/etc to see if a meeting is actually happening in
case that's their sole reason for coming to Sudo Room on any specific
Wednesday.

DONATIONS + 501C*
+Whitney came representing a network hardware group after following a
suggestion from Daniel that Sudo should be able to solicit and accept
donations like old networking equipment from school districts when they
acquire new equipment. The group has to be able to accept donations that
are tax-deductible, and this is only possible if Sudo has federal
non-profit status [501(c)(*)], and the Sudo wiki states that process as
pending. It is not clear that a decision has been made. Whitney will
message sudo-discuss and sudo-board about his request for information.