[sudo-discuss] hacker schools discussion

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Fri Jan 31 19:18:46 PST 2014

Well in the middle of all these hacker academies I've seen a lot of people
propose that these quickie vocational schools replace a university
education altogether.

I think this gels with people who believe that you go to university in
order to get a good job, not necessarily for an education.

Here's an article from Mother Jones on how for-profit universities can rip
students off:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/for-profit-college-student-debt

So suppose one of these technical schools that you see advertising on late
night television start offering their own "code schools" copying the
generally excellent hacker academies... and promising six figure salaries?

I saw a case where a law student sued her law school because she couldn't
find a job after graduation.

   - Would this regulation body be able to protect these hacker schools
   from getting sued by students who didn't find jobs?
   - I think it's very difficult to scale in a VC disruption kind of way
   these hacker academies. You have to be very selective about the applicant
   pool. You can't get people who are only going into programming because they
   want to make money--they have to be truly passionate about it to justify
   such short study times matched against real world jobs.
      -  I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.
   - Automating and industrializing education is sort of creepy.

Sometimes I get very alienated from discussions on the value of a
university education that I see on the web. I feel as if people only want
to go to school so that they can earn big salaries. There seems to be very
little value in getting an education in and of itself.
 Maybe it was always this way?

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com