[sudo-discuss] hacker schools discussion

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Fri Jan 31 11:00:10 PST 2014

I agree 100% - this can't be actual cost fair share type pricing.  More of a "what the market will bear" price.

What's tuition running these days?  Are semesters 15 weeks?  For in-state students it was about $4k/semester at UT Austin when I left.  We definitely need more accessible alternatives one way or the other - I'm digging coursera right now.  Also MIT opencourseware has lots of free content.  No substitute for having in-person access to experts in a given field on a regularly scheduled basis with feedback on your progress though.

The access issue with the bootcamps is what really freaks me out. $15k for a 10-week intensive? I don't know, I thought there was a value of access/justice encoded within the general ethics of 'hacker.' Maybe that's not true...