[sudo-discuss] help: anti-DAC resources?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 16:40:22 PST 2014

Also, fwiw I do have some familiarity with the state of academic
and academic-y work being done on the problem of survelliance and privacy
in general. And I have to say, of what ive read anyhow, its a pretty
impoverished body of work with respect to the challenges before us.

With the exception of someone like Schneier, who's at least on the right
track, most of the (legal) academia for example has not been helpful in
framing the issue for the general public, ie politically.

To wit, I remember reading Solove's topology of 12 kinds of privacy or
whatever it was, it was just far too complicated to be
useful or memorable to anyone and was anyhow imo a bit too far removed from
how privacy is actually experienced at the phenomenal level in everyday
life.

Then at the level of US case law pertaining to the 4th's penumbra, which i
have read extensively, again and again we have an abstraction of an
expectation of privacy thats just so incredibly weak that its frankly not
worth translating much of its reasoning into any quotidian
political arguments that have a hope of being politically effective. In my
view, only by the verbal gymnastics of a very few sympathetic,
forward-thinking judges in the past has privacy as a legal
concept continued to be viable, and by the skin pf its teeth at that. So
with regards influencing politicians and public opinion, I'm not sure the
legal domain is the well of ideas to be drawing from - more like, one we
actually have to fill with new ideas of our own, 'cause its still such a
primordial muddy swamp of intangibility even after decades and decades..

Meanwhile most of the efforts in popular nonfiction around privacy are
laudable, but ultimately zero-gain attempts to even adequately describe the
problem, let alone begin to develop prescriptive arguments against it. One
after another i put them on my shelf never to be looked at again, because
they contain almost no ideas that can be deployed at the level of political
action. And invariably fail to describe the scope of the problem with which
we're faced, which actually exceeds the concept of privacy as such -- or of
'safety', or of 'security', or 'secrecy', or even of  'anonymity'. Imo,
each one of these terms is impoverished with respect to the
totality pf what is happening, and how it affects our life chances.

At that big cryptoparty that baps & sudo co-hosted, Danny (EFF) bemoaned
our inability to make the invisibile (survelliance) visible and
actually felt at the level of language and moral politics, as did Moxie, in
his own words. So to me, and i think to a lot of other people, this
represents a paradigmatic challenge, and my impetus for the baps class on
the subject. Talking with anti-DAC activists, ive found we are to a
person sorely lacking the language to concisely describe whats actually wrong
with the DAC. This lack is not coincidental - we lack effective
language, or effective
semantic frames, to describe the problem of surveillence in general, and
this is a real big part of the reason it has continued unabated. We need to
start generating a paradigm for the problem that works - not rely on
dead metaphors dredged from Orwell or Kafka or Foucault, but come up with a
new description of this survellience apparatus as encompassing as the
Situationists' idea of the Spectacle, but intuitive and not opaqu
or abstruse. I think we can do this because privacy is something every
single person on earth already deeply understands at a felt level. Theres
just a disconnect that happens when our 'privacy' or rather our sense
of being-in-the-world is ever-informationalized and increasingly mediated
by tech -- tech thats not 'experienced' or felt as such, but still affects
us and our life chances..

I look forward to reading the articles you forwarded in the hopes of
finding or concocting a simple working paper on the DAC's evils, a fact
sheet of sorts that is dispossessed of personal representation or
overtly political affiliation, that isnt couched in a hermaneutic or a
specific argot or a mostly technical domain, but is instead
simply clarifying in the venn-diagram area of overlap to which all these
areas of focus against the DAC / surveillance at some point intersect and
depend upon.

besos,
david

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014, David Keenan
<dkeenan44 at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'dkeenan44 at gmail.com');>>