[sudo-discuss] developments in net neutrality

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Fri Jan 17 20:59:40 PST 2014

Realistically I think the only way to get net neturality back is some kind
of alliance of powerful corporate start-ups like Google + NetFlix + Amazon
(especially since Amazon has Amazon Prime instant video + AWS).

I know that Google is pro net neutrality but I'm surprised they weren't
able to push back.  Seeing as how money is what makes these kinds of things
talk, what went wrong? Was something just not organized properly in this
battle?

South Korea, which is years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure with its
net etc. has already been facing issues when its net neutrality was struck
down a few years ago, and ISPs were allowed to block VoIP services like
Kakao Talk.

They're running into conflicts over Smart TV - I feel that just like their
gaming industry, maybe this is our future. Maybe there just needs to be a
stronger corporate coalition.

http://gigaom.com/2012/02/10/smart-tvs-cause-a-net-neutrality-debate-in-s-korea/

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com