[sudo-discuss] Lease

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Fri Apr 18 07:29:29 PDT 2014

food and furniture?  but isn't the common area where we are supposed to keep our receptionists???  this is seriously getting more off the wall every week to week and a half. the place was seriously empty before sudo came in and he claims we are hurting his ability to rent the space?  if he were more reasonable then we would've already filled the space with other likeminded groups!  don't you see what's happening, george?

we should be hedging our bets with a backup plan in case enough support for omni plan doesn't materialize -  i am generally optimistic about collective of collectives but the $50,000 dollar deposit and the location are huge barriers to moving into the omni.  couldn't make it to the meeting this week, but are there any other leads beside 8th and alice?  recently came upon the term 'hackbase' http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Cyberhippietotalism which could offer up some more viable venues.  what if we had a cluster of hackbases each with its own flavor?  i've always seen this as something that would grow beyond a single building.  could have the shop along with a bike co-op operating out of the basement of one house, a 2D and 3D print shop w/cafe in another, all networked and uniformly autonomous.

i don't know if this was discussed at the meeting, but i've in the past advocated going on a 'space diet' - no not astronaut ice cream, just dispersing our infrastructure to various ad hoc facilities for a month to accumulate reserves between spaces if necessary in our metamorphosis.  it has its own problems but is worth considering if we see a space we love that has a prohibitive deposit.

cheers