[sudo-discuss] Tabling at the 2nd Annual East Bay Anarchist Book Fair

Gregg Horton greggahorton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:08:40 PDT 2013

Greetings,
This is your informational email for tabling at the East Bay Anarchist
Book Fair. It will tell you most of what you need to know to get through
Saturday. Volunteers and organizers will be milling around to help all
day long, and are identifiable by their name tags. If you need anything
please flag one of them down and we will do what we can for you.

First up. There was some confusion about this last year, so we want to
clarify the issue this year. There are no free tables at the East Bay
Anarchist Book Fair. We have chosen to adopt the percentage model, as
used at The Montreal Anarchist Book Fair successfully for almost 15
years. We will not ask for payment in advance. We will come around late
in the day on Saturday and ask to collect 10% of your sales. If you are
an organization that does not sell anything or asks for donations or
does sales under $200, then we require a minimum of $20. So please be
prepared. We will come around about 4:30 or so to remind people and then
check back in with each table around 5:30. If you are not tabling but
receiving this email please tell those who will be tabling. Last year a
few organizations did not pay stating they "did not know" payment was
required. That response will not be acceptable this year. Anyone who
does not pay this year will not be eligible to table next year. And we
will grimace at you. A lot.

The other thing to give you a heads up about is that we are encouraging
Halloween costumes and would like to give out prizes for the best
costumes. We are going to come around and ask people if they would like
to donate something to the prize vault. Perhaps you will have an item or
two that you would be happy to give!

On to the logistics of the day. The book fair opens to the public at
10am, doors open for you at 8:30am. There are 27 tables, and we are at
capacity. Selection is first come first serve. There is a great deal of
wall space and outlets at regular intervals along the two long walls.
You should bring your own power strips/extension cords if you anticipate
needing power. There is wi-fi in the hall.

We will have the area in front of the hall on 27th Street blocked off,
for unloading and free hands to help you carry your wares. There is free
parking on both sides of 27th Street. However, technically there is a
two hour limit, Humanist hall says the city generally does not enforce
this. We will have volunteers check periodically during the day to see
if cars are being marked. There is a small parking lot behind the Hall
on 28th Street, that will hold roughly a dozen cars, where it is safe to
park all day. The helpers outside can direct you to this lot and it will
be marked so you can't miss it. Again, parking here will be first come
first serve.

Each tabler gets a standard-six-foot-book-fair-table and two chairs. We
can provide additional chairs upon request. We will do what we can to
make the day as comfortable and as enjoyable for you as possible. There
will be volunteers on hand to watch your table if you need a break or
want to spend time enjoying the event.

There will be coffee available on a limited basis to tablers and
conversation holders until early afternoon. In terms of food, there are
several small neighborhood places, and a Whole Foods about a third of a
mile east on 27th Street. About a mile south on Broadway is downtown
Oakland and Chinatown and about a mile northeast is a small business
district on Piedmont Avenue. Each of these areas has quite a number of
restaurants. More information about this will be available on Saturday
at the info table.

Tabling is scheduled to go until 6pm. Again there will be volunteers
available to help carry and load you back to your vehicle if you require
it. After tabling is over there will be karaoke and everyone is
encouraged to attend.

The complete schedule for the day can be found online at
http://eastbayanarchist.com/conversations/

The complete list of tablers can be found at
http://eastbayanarchist.com/tablers/ . Please check your listing and see
that it is to your liking. Words, phrasing, link etc.

For announcements, updates, and information on all the other events
happening over the weekend visit
https://www.facebook.com/events/227860837363480/?fref=ts

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us and we will
respond as quickly as possible.

Thanks so much for participating, see you Saturday, October 26!

On behalf of the EBAB planners,
-ariel