[sudo-discuss] Privacy/Fourth Amendment activists - meeting at Sudo Room on Saturday

johanna faust female.faust at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 13:44:02 PDT 2013

here hear, to an extent which will soon ave been somewhat greater than i
now have the wit to encrypt...

meaning, i fully fully agree in theory, and in practice am learning.

i was however dreaming off and on of a way to interact with the fb ers --
comments and such -- without being on fb...

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM, GtwoG PublicOhOne <g2g-public01 at att.net>wrote:

> The obvious solution is:  Use a FB link to reach people who are on FB, and
> a non-FB link to a non-FB site for people who won't go anywhere near FB.
>
> There's no problem with each of those being a separate link to a separate
> destination, because when a meeting occurs F2F, whoever shows up, shows
> up.  It doesn't matter whether they got there from FB, non-FB, or a flyer
> taped to a telephone pole.
>
> As for "everyone is being tracked," not those of us who have installed a
> bunch of anti-tracking software and turned up all our privacy settings to
> 11.
>
> The "everyone is being tracked (implied: so therefore give up)" meme is
> like the "don't bother with safe sex" meme during the early days of the
> HIV/AIDS pandemic, when people were getting infected and dying in large
> numbers.  Fatalism is defeatism.  Prevention is easy and free.
>

> =====
>

> On 13-09-28-Sat 10:45 PM, johanna faust wrote:
>
>  acetownes: please do.  here's the link:
>  DIS-INTER-Face-Book-MEDI-A-TION<http://femalefaust.blogspot.com/2013/09/dis-inter-face-medi-book-ation.html>
>
>  Andrew: i get that, i do.  keep wishing forf some sort of interface,
> though, so that the people who are not on it are easily included.  fully
> functional for both, comments and all, but integrateable with fb so that
> the fb people don't balk.
>

>  which they do, it seems, when they have to leave fb.  why is that?
>  can't they just open a new tab?  i wonder if the rest of the ineternet is
> more welcoming now that everyone knows everyone is being tracked, rather
> than just knowing fb does it,,,,
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Andrew <andrew at roshambomedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Problem is, people use facebook. People who you might want to reach out
>> to. If you don't use facebook to get your message across you can really
>> only hope to preach to the choir. Tools are meant to be used, It's true
>> that now a days the tools find ways of using us, but we need to find ways
>> of understanding and mitigating *that* instead of just not using them at
>> all.
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM, johanna faust <female.faust at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>   well said andrew, but, i think i'm with GtwoG PublicOhOne on this
>>> one.
>>>

>>>  Dis-inter-facebook-mediation
>>>

>>>  i understand that many find FB useful as a tool, and agree that
>>> organization in the face of the Panopticon, like living well, is a most
>>> excellent way to tell it to get fucked.  where i begin to object is to that
>>> organization happening primarily in that virtual environment, instead of a
>>> point being made to make the organizational center one that makes no
>>> assumptions of membership prerequisite to use, to full functionality.
>>>

>>>  my objection to FB isn't (just) because of the ubiquitous and now (at
>>> last!) publicly acknowledged surveillance state.  not even primarily.

> [...]

*Be seeing you.*