[sudo-discuss] Morning Math Restated

Thomas Fitzpatrick fitzsnaggle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 21:57:38 PDT 2013

If there are no objections, I'm reenstating Morning Math. I think a new
name is in order and would like to field a couple - Math Gym, Visceral
Mathematics, Romancing Methods...

Sessions will start at 7:30 AM. I will be staying and holding up the
torch until 11:30. Participants are free to come and go as the please
between those times on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursday (no pressure to
show up on all days, but I will be there) with the possibility of more days.

All levels are welcome - there will always be something to do. The
vision is that despite skill levels and relative experiences, we can all
benefit from contact with each other as Mathematicians.

My favorite learning environment is a boxing gym and I think that is
where our social norms should be derived from.

    * Many different styles of boxing and training - trainers are free
    to take on students, students can go to new trainers, or you can
    have no trainer and get bits of advice from many people
    * People arriving and leaving at disparate times as opposed to
    Karate classes where everyone must arrive at the same time. The flow
    is mantained regardless. You tell your trainer you are arrived and
    start your warm-ups. When they are available they will teach you
    something or give you an exercise you are familiar with - coming
    around to check on you and correct your form.
    * All skill levels and levels of fitness - Hanger-ons, the elderly,
    novices, pros, trainers all derive social satisfaction. Everyone is
    free to improve at their own pace without being turned away from the
    sport. Bullying is not tolerated
    * Everyone is given the opportunity to teach - this advice is
    trusted based on their reputation - many views abound and the
    student is free to choose the styles and techniques they want to
    emulate.
    * Instruction is given and then the student is left to practice the
    motions - the memory is important - by they have to get a feel for
    it on their own. They can be corrected, but the trainer is also free
    to help other students.
    * Some routines are done in groups while others are done alone -
    most can be practiced in both contexts
    * The right exercises are chosen to get you to the next level. There
    is no set protocol for what you do each time. You are free to choose
    what you do next - though others may tell you better.
    * No one goes in the ring without a trainer watching (the analogy
    breaks down here)
    * Sparing is the most valuable experience as it builds your fight
    intuition. We predict punches - we don't react. It takes half a
    second for your brain to tell you to move - if you have to wait you
    will get hit. That is why you will often take it slow or only do
    defense or offense to trim your concerns.
    * The focus is learning. Preparing for your match.

The primary question I have is how to teach Mathematics the way
Music/Sports are? How do you teach intuition and problem solving? How do
groups with disparate schedules and skill levels benefit the most from
each other? I propose the following norms. (I will pare them down over
time):

    * Agreements on reading materials/problems are between those you
    agreed to read with - not the entire group
    * You can come to as many or as few sessions as you please - there
    will always be something to do. (analogous problems)
    * Progress and minutes are prominently displayed to bring people up
    to speed without breaking the flow
    * Discussion groups form and disperse based on the creative process.
    * It is better to ask questions than to give others the solution
    when they are solving a problem. Empathize to give the right hint
    * It is better to try problems than to merely discuss, pencil must
    move over paper (or code across screen) - experience is more
    valuable than lectures.
    * Pictures are essential tools
    * Assisted/Group work is valuable for discovering the process, but
    the intuitive jump or connection is up to the student
    * Problems can be generalized, specialized or analogous problems
    chosen to keep everyone in the loop - to give and get insight as
    student and teacher.
    * The learning zone is right beyond your current abilities, but not
    so hard you have nothing to grasp onto.
    * Talent is overrated
    <http://www.amazon.com/Talent-Overrated-World-Class-Performers-EverybodyElse/dp/1591842948>

Here are some books I would personally like to study with anyone - in
these time slots or otherwise. Suggestions are welcome :)

# Good general Problems
Delightful Puzzles <http://gurmeet.net/puzzles/> - Scroll to Bottom for
other great lists - These are very accessible
The Stanford Mathematics Problem Book
<http://www.amazon.com/The-Stanford-Mathematics-Problem-Book/dp/0486469247/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380010455&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Stanford+Mathematics+Book>-
Has a hint key and an answer key!

# Problem Solving Techniques
How To Solve It
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Solve-It-Mathematical-Princeton/dp/069111966X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380010351&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+solve+it>
Mathematics and Plausible Reasoning
<http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Plausible-Reasoning-Patterns-Inference/dp/4871878341/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375257566&sr=8-2&keywords=plausible+reasoning>

# History of Math
Mathematics and Its History
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/144196052X/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=>

# Applied Mathematics
Methods of Mathematics Applied to Calculus, Probability and Statistics
<http://www.amazon.com/Methods-Mathematics-Calculus-Probability-Statistics/dp/0486439453/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380010629&sr=8-4&keywords=Methods+and+Mathematics>
Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers
<http://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Methods-Scientists-Engineers-Mathematics/dp/0486652416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371662965&sr=8-1&keywords=hamming>

# Discrete Mathematics
Concrete Mathematics
<http://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Mathematics-Foundation-Computer-Science/dp/0201558025%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-z-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0201558025>

There is interest in studying Visual Complex Analysis
<http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Complex-Analysis-Tristan-Needham/dp/0198534469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380010478&sr=8-1&keywords=visual+complex+analysis>.
The Complex-plane is an alternative to x-y coordinates that makes many
problems much easier and more intuitive to reason about. It was named
Complex to be vindictive by mathematicians who didn't understand its
worth. AND IT USES PICTURES