[sudo-discuss] Ladders, tables, and other horizontal surfaces

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:08:46 PST 2013

Patrick, I applaud the positive intention that is obvious behind your email
but I am kind of disappointed by its assertions, that I somehow have
incorrectly assessed what type of environment I might feel comfortable in.

You exhort me to 'think about it' ignoring the clear evidence that I have
thought about it, extensively, as I would hope my long and carefully
thought out messages would indicate. I can easily imagine how your
enthusiasm would occlude for you the paternalism in your words.

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to get too deeply involved in
whatever conflicts are happening at Sudo now, as I haven't been around
much. I have been clear and open about naming names when I felt that it was
appropriate to do so.

Perhaps you might ask yourself why you are more curious about the identity
of 'a certain person' prompting me to, what, speak my mind? ...than you are
about the identities of the people who touched me without my permission or
made me feel unsafe.

I read your comment 'we are as diverse as never before' to rather miss my
point, as I would hope that the critical examination of sudo's position
within the greater context of Oakland would not stop upon achieving some
sort of 'diversity' level. Diversity in what dimension? (That's a
rhetorical question.) There are an infinite array of "other"s and until we
are within a society that does not exotify, demonize, ostracize, and demean
the other there will always be more work to do.

R.