[sudo-discuss] my experiences with "crime" in oakland [part 1 of ?]

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 20:17:41 PST 2013

no way man! your age/ race / gender is super relevant I think for how at
risk you are for being hassled, and in what way.
I think gender is the most important. Super crazy people and females will
rob ladies, but crazy people, females AND healthy, red-blooded American
bullies will rob boys. I would bet $70 that the three times you were
robbed, if I had walked by that corner instead of you, your robbers would
have said "hey girl, can I go w chu"? to me and I would not have been
robbed.

I also think it gets less fun to rob men as they get older.

David - you're black, do you have any info on the relative safety from
mugging of black women and men?
I would expect the same dynamic to play out - it's not that fun to rob
women, it's not as cool of a story. What about the relative safety of black
and white men? I think white men and women imagine they would be safer in a
black neighbourhood if they were black, but I don't believe that. I'm
pretty sure the main victims of black criminals are other black people.