[sudo-discuss] Dealing with funding

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 16:52:44 PST 2013

FYI, for inspiration, and I concur we should draft something similar we can
consense on:

FINANCIAL POLICY OF THE BAY AREA PUBLIC SCHOOL
PASSED : November 14, 2013

 *The Bay Area Public School is a free school.*

 *All of its classes and events are always free of charge and free of
monetary solicitation.*

 *Our space at 2141 Broadway is paid for by community members who have
pledged $20 a month for six months to make the School’s monthly expenses of
$1000.*

 *We also welcome donations in any amount from individuals, with the
understanding that such donations are with no strings attached.*

 *The Bay Area Public School is not a nonprofit and does not apply for
grants. Its members may autonomously pursue grants according to their
judgment. As with other kinds of donations, such funds must be offered with
no strings attached.*

 *Financial contributions are not and will never be a requirement for
participation in the school's classes, events or in its administrative
process.*

 *We are committed to total financial transparency. We will send a
quarterly report on our income and expenses to our announcement list.*

 *We hope to make our space at 2141 Broadway available to other community
organizations for their events and projects.  In order to use the space,
such organizations must consent to our terms of use : that any events held
in the space or in the name of the Bay Area Public School are free of
charge and free of monetary solicitation.*

 *The Public School is structured as a commons. We want what everyone needs
to be free.*

 *Organizations wishing to make items available for sale are asked to be
conscious of these core principles of the Public School. If such
organizations have questions about the appropriateness of certain items for
sale, they are encouraged to discuss their questions with their
bottomliner.*

 *The Bay Area Public School is an anti-capitalist school.  Our politics
are radical and contestatory.  We acknowledge the necessary evil of the use
of money but are committed to a continuous reexamination of the ways in
which we use it.  Among other inspirations we collectively recall the
money-free space created at Oscar Grant Plaza during Occupy Oakland, and
aspire to create such spaces in the future, and to build the new world in
the shell of the old. *

---------
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net