[sudo-discuss] Fwd: On Transiton Berkeley

Troy Massey ecoeconomist11 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 14:46:57 PDT 2013

From: Myown Hymer <mhymer at hotmail.com>

------------------------------
Subject: Transiton Berkeley Digest (2/28)
From: transition.berkeley at gmail.com
To: mhymer at hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:21:39 +0000

      Transition Berkeley is bringing our community together to live a more
sustainable future.
  Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=9ef03dce11&e=9684828731>.

               *Transition Berkeley Digest 2/22* *TRANSITION EVENTS*
------------------------------
 Economics for Transition and Sustainable Communities (4 part series)
Friday, March 1, 7:30-10 pm Let's better understand the global economy and
how we are and can move toward a more stable and thriving, creative, sane,
humane, and beautiful future!

This is a special four-part series with *Marco Vangelisti*, from *Slow
Money *<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=78d22a279b&e=9684828731>
and* Community Capital
Caucus<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=f60a445f72&e=9684828731>
*, and other featured guests. Join us for 1, 2, or all four. There will be
plenty of time for Q&A and audience interaction, and light snacks and
socializing afterward until 10pm.

March 1-Session 1: How the international banking and money systems work and
how they affect our lives.

March 8-Session 2: How does our global economic system work?

March 22-Session 3: What is financial capitalism and how has it driven the
US and global economy?

March 29-Session 4 (to be confirmed): Why is housing so expensive in the
Bay Area?

Cost: See registration
Location: The Long Haul, 3124 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley, CA
Presenters: Marco Vangelisti and Betsy Morris
Info & Registration: click
here<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=f0fb2ad631&e=9684828731>

 *OTHER ACTIVITIES & EVENTS*
------------------------------
 Vermicomposting Workshop
Sunday, March 3, 2-3 pm Spring is coming! Close the loop in your garden and
learn to make your own living compost. Learn how to begin your home WORM
COMPOSTING system, care for your worms, and harvest castings. Everything
you need to begin your worm bin will be available for purchase.
Vermicompost is always available for purchase on site during open hours and
online.

Cost: Free
Location: Urban Adamah Farm, 1050 Parker Street, Berkeley
Info & rsvp: c<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=cfc505b80d&e=9684828731>lick
here<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=43090a0e34&e=9684828731>

------------------------------
 *Plastics 360: Impact & Possibilities - Film Night*
Thursday, March 7, 7-9 pm
We cannot live without plastics, it seems. But we cannot live with them
either, as they are currently produced and disposed. Plastics are
everywhere - littering streets and waterways, getting into the food chain
and into our bodies. Chemicals in plastics are associated with disorders
such as asthma, cancer, and diabetes. How do we find a way out?

Film Night features several short, stimulating pieces on the promises and
liabilities of plastics, each followed by commentary and dialogue with
local leaders in sustainable living: *Beck Cowles*, Berkeley Ecology
Center, *Chris Pincetich, PhD*, Sea Turtle Restoration Project, *Beth Terry*,
author, Plastic Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit, and How You Can, Too
and *Monica Wilson*, GAIA (Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives).
Join the conversation and learn what you can do to protect yourself, your
family, and the environment. Space is limited. Purchase ticket online.

Cost: $11.54 (purchase tix online)
Location: Berkeley Unitarian Fellowship Hall, 1924 Cedar Street, Berkeley
Info: 510-532-6574, click
here<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=da30ac6a57&e=9684828731>

------------------------------
 Transition Berkeley is part of a growing international network of
Transition initiatives. We're joining cities and towns from around the
world to face the enormous challenges of economic instability, climate
change and fossil fuel dependency. There are hundreds of Transition
Initiatives worldwide and Transition Berkeley is proud to become the 110th
U.S. Initiative. YOU can get involved by helping with our planning team,
coming to our events and activities or co-sponsoring something with us. If
you have items to submit to our Digest or want to contact us, send an email
to: Linda <linda at transitionberkeley.com?subject=Interested%20in%20TB>
------------------------------

           Friend on Facebook <#13d24329e4c04372_13d24067a77bc7ee_>
    *Follow on Twitter*
    Forward to a
Friend<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=9ef03dce11&e=9684828731>
     [image: Transition Berkeley
logo]<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=c231e4309d&e=9684828731>
------------------------------
 Ohlone Swap

*Sat, March 2,10:30am*

Got books, clothing, crops, seedlings, homemade yummies, ideas? Come on
down to the next swap and be part of this wonderful sharing economy!

Cost: FREE
Location: Sacramento & Delaware, across from N. Berk. BART
Info: contact Barbara <barbaraedwards75 at yahoo.com?subject=Ohone%20Swap>

------------------------------
 Transition Potluck *Tues,March 5,6:30pm*

Interested in learning more about the Transition movement and meeting some
nice folks? Come to the monthly potluck.

Cost: small donation
Location: St. Albans Church, Curtis & Washington, Albany
Info: click here<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=77d4b8b204&e=9684828731>

------------------------------
 Stop Fracking w/CA *Tues,March 5,6:30pm*

Fracking in California undercuts our states's commitment to clean and
renewable energy. Injecting millions of gallons of water and chemicals into
the ground to release oil is a dangerous way to get dirty energy. Send
Governor Brown a message today to impose a moratorium on fracking.

Info: *click here*<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=93a32ddd1b&e=9684828731>

------------------------------
 Join a Carrotmob *Do it by March 5*

Help a local business go green! Support energy efficiencyfor *Himalayan
Flavors restaurant* in Berkeley. Buy a $25 voucher for Himalayan Flavors
and 15% of all Carrotmob sales will go into energy efficient lighting
upgrades. Redeem your vouchers any time you want.

Info: *click here*<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=9b43f04765&e=9684828731>

------------------------------
 Save $$ and Energy *Rebates of $1,500 +* **

For a limited time, Alameda County homeowners looking to lower their
utility bills and enhance home comfort can qualify for $1,500 in rebates
for energy-saving home improvements through Flex Package. Rebates are
available on a first-come, first-served basis to owners of single-family
homes in Alameda County, and are offered through Energy Upgrade California.

Info: AlamedaFlex.Org<http://transitionberkeley.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=9bf5803041&e=9684828731>

           friend on Facebook <#13d24329e4c04372_13d24067a77bc7ee_> | forward
to a friend<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=504c87a0b59acba66c8b2ea75&id=9ef03dce11&e=9684828731>

  *Copyright ©  2011, Transition Berkeley, All rights reserved.   **Our
mailing address is:  *
Transition Berkeley
1211 Cornell Ave
Berkeley, CA 94706