[sudo-discuss] post-Bike Smut follow-up

revphil revphil at gmail.com
Wed May 22 08:42:56 PDT 2013

It is nice to see a provocative dialogue emerging. We have enjoyed a few
"morning after" round table brunches and talks over the years. Alas, this
wasn't an option for us this past weekend but this Friday I've been invited
to talk about Bike Smut on the radio, so that might be an excellent time to
bring up some of these topics.

Please add your voice to Radio Valencia, "Transmissions from the Mission"
on 87.9FM (available in some parts of SF). We are being interviewed on a
show called  Thumpjuice: DIY mayhem and trashpicked 45's.

This Friday 24 May
8- 10 pm
radiovalencia.fm

Exploring all the sexy at once - bicycles and sexuality: The Thumpjuice
regulars will be interviewing Rev. Phil Sano and  Poppy Cox, the
masterminds behind Bike Smut. It's a celebration of DIY porn and the
awkward feeling of watching dirty bullshit you haven't dreamed of yet *with
others*. This is one film festival you won't be able to pick up later
online, and they're looking for collaborators.

Podcast link post show (please wait at least 36 hours):
http://radiovalencia.fm/podcasts/?show=busterandthumpershow

The host told me that we are gonna get our asses handed to us by some
pretty hard hitting sociologists.

This is not a replacement for face-to-face conversation but it is an
opportunity for those who might feel uncomfortable speaking in front of
others. If there is demand, we (or maybe just yalls) can figure a time to
talk about these topics again.

you were,

rev

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Rabbit <rabbitface at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Vicky!
>
> I want to speak up especially about consent:
>
> 1. Consent on the screen: If we're going to watch porn together (which I
> support!) let's make sure it reflects our values instead of supporting rape
> culture (like the film with the box being delivered).
> http://www.upsettingrapeculture.com/rapeculture.html
>
> 2. Consent in the audience: Let's be careful to let the audience know if
> there are difficult / triggering things in the porn we're showing which
> could be traumatic for them to see.  This applies to bdsm as well as
> non-consent.
>
> Both of these are very serious issues.  In the future I think we need to
> preview shows like this before showing them to an audience.
>

> Props to the contestants at the end of the show, though!  That was really
> great.
>
> -Rabbit
>

> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to thank everyone who came together last night to collaboratively
>> bust their butts and get the event organized and running smoothly! Major
>> props to the night owls who helped with final cleanup and with luggin those
>> ginormous speakers back to my house! In the end we made ~$200, which was
>> 4/9 of the total donations (4/9 went to Bike Smut and 1/9 went to Rock
>> Paper Scissors for hooking it up with the beer). Maybe we should have a big
>> event where 100% goes to SR? :] :]
>>
>> I had a wonderful time! The major highlights for me were absolutely Ray's
>> aphrodesiac ice cream and witnessing the Sudo Mateists working hard the day
>> before (Not trying to toot horns--in all seriousness, I find food to be way
>> more sensual than porn).
>>
>> After the show was over, I walked around and solicited people's feedback
>> for the show. Some members of the audience...
>>
>>    - wished there would have been a greater presence of male-bodied
>>    people, transgender people and people of color, as well as a greater
>>    diversity of non/gendered roles played out. (I spoke afterward with Phil
>>    about the high presence of female-bodied people, and he said that the
>>    majority of the production crew are female-bodied as well, and that they
>>    would like more diversity in the films they recieve and is open to input.)
>>    - wondered how crowdsourcing porn affects demographic of submissions
>>    - were not surprised at the lack of diversity in queer porn
>>    - had not seen strap-on sex before, and were delighted
>>    - were displeased that there was no warning about two films with
>>    (staged) nonconsensual acts
>>    - want to hack sexuality
>>    - might want to have a screening of very diverse porn
>>    - think it would be really good to have a follow-up conversation!
>>
>> Sorry if I missed your point--if you pm me I can add it in, or please
>> respond to the list. On the latter point, would anyone be interested in
>> organizing this?
>>
>> Hugs,
> [...]

7 years of sex-positive, human-powered porno
________Hop on The Porny Express________