[sudo-discuss] 3D printer nozzle not heating up

Jae Kwon jkwon.work at gmail.com
Tue May 21 15:39:34 PDT 2013

Right, the design is similar to that of a reprap.

The nozzle is heated by a heating element that is wrapped with fiberglass.
Be careful if you're handling the fiberglass, you don't want to touch that
too much or esp inhale the broken fiberglass dust.

The way to get to the heating element is to pull off the blue sheath.
You'll then see the heating element, a thermsistor, scantily wrapped in
some kapton tape to hold it all together.

You can't use any reprap thermsistor since different thermsistors have
different characteristics and may (or may not) need reconfiguring in the
arduino firmware, but any reprap friendly heating element should work (if
the heating element is indeed what is broken). It's going to be a pain
putting the blue sheath back on, especially since I've done this a couple
times already and the fiberglass is getting worn down. I suggest contacting
someone (Miloh, Jake) at TypeAMachines and asking them for a replacement
part and tips. Watch out for that broken fiberglass!!!! Also, you
definitely want spare kapton tape for this operation.

Before you take apart the nozzle system though, definitely make sure that
voltage is going through, probably using a voltmeter. You can take off the
wooden plate on the left side of the machine to get access to the
electronics board.