[sudo-discuss] Hacker Vs. Maker

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun May 12 16:52:49 PDT 2013

Andrew & YOs-

Works for me.  Though, there's a gray zone in the middle, having to do
with repurposing things to perform new functions, for example turning
game consoles into inexpensive Linux PCs, and very often the same people
are involved in both types of activity.

It's good to reclaim "hacker" from its pejorative use as "computer
criminal," and it would also be good if the culture at-large got over
the obsession with carving out a special category for crimes committed
with computers.  We don't refer to kidnappers and bank robbers as
"automobile criminals" because they use automobiles, though we do use
the term "get-away car" to refer to the cars used in such crimes.  Bank
robbery is bank robbery, whether committed with a pistol and a car, or a
computer and forged ATM cards, or a bank CEO's office and a pile of
fraudulent mortgage documents.

-G.

=====