[sudo-discuss] defying biology

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Sat May 11 08:30:26 PDT 2013

Hi All,

We are playing on the edges of our medical knowledge with one project (all
are welcome to help if interested). Eric, Alan and I have one project which
is taking *ALS (Lou Gerig's) patient data* and we're trying to find trends
in the data (perhaps hospitalization linked with certain activities or
other correlations). Eric was able to get a large data set of ALS patient
data and Alan's started to analyze it. This is very much just a citizen
science project and you never know, it might lead to Grok'ing something new
:)

If you're interested, Eric (who is both an ALS patient and citizen
scientist) and Alan are leading the project and our contact points for the
project!

All the best,
Ryan

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM, GtwoG PublicOhOne <g2g-public01 at att.net>wrote:

> YOs-
>
> It would be more impressive if they had defied physics, for example by
> exceeding c.
>
> Or if they had cross-bred the outcome of the first experiment, with a
> polar bear, and announced the outcome with a press release titled "Lions
> and Tigers and Bears, oh my!"
>
> Realistically though, there is no "defying" biology any more than
> "defying" chemistry, physics, or maths.  What there is, is humans
> experimenting with biology and creating new organisms that haven't existed
> before.  That, in and of itself, is interesting as science and omnious* as
> technology.
>
> Though, we should encourage the media to not use language that suggests
> that scientific accomplishments are in some way supernatural (by which I
> mean, "above or outside of nature or empirical methods").  By definition
> the only thing that can exist "above" nature would be a deity that can
> create an entire universe at will.  And any such entity is also outside the
> scope of empirical methods to verify or falsify, which is why science is
> necessarily agnostic.
>
> * Omnious: accidental neologism.  I had meant to type "ominous, for both
> good and bad," in the sense that our newly gained powers in experimental
> biology hold out the hope for new cures for diseases and new weaponized
> germs alike.  All the way up the phylogenetic scale, to the prospect of
> neo-eugenics (who wouldn't want to tweak their own sperm cells or egg cells
> in order to have a kid who is more capable in whatever way?).
>
> But a typo rendered "ominous" as "omnious," which turns out to be
> interesting: the root "omni" means "all," thus, something that is "omnious"
> has all-encompassing possibilities.  Experimental biology is in that sense
> an "omnious" technology.  (And a quick online search turns up nothing, so
> apparently I'm the first to coin that term, heh;-)
>
> -G.
>

> =-=-=-=
>

> On 13-05-10-Fri 7:00 PM, Leonid Kozhukh wrote:
>
> hybrid of a lion & a liger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zmch-qpBu4
>
>  --
> len
>
>  founder, ligertail