[sudo-discuss] sewn biofilter mats

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Fri May 10 12:23:30 PDT 2013

hi folks,

i'm brainstorming on portable bio or mycoremediation mats, thinking of using landscaping fabric quilted with a filling of straw, sand, porous aggregate, wood particles, whatever will provide a good substrate.  probably will need different substrates for different organisms so would like the design to be flexible for use with different filler materials.  they would need to be kept in an enclosure that maintains living conditions, which i would like to mount in a wire mesh or other lightweight cage/platform in the top portion of a water collection barrel to maintain temperature and high humidity, maybe with wicks running into the reservoir or partially submerging if needed.

looking for info on any related technology but right now the most baffling to me is how to do quilting through a granular and loose fiber/chip filter material on a machine.  For the life support system, my first thought is to use a temp/humidity controller that will be common to a greenhouse controller as well.  any ideas? please get in touch if so!

happy friday,
hol