[sudo-discuss] revolutionaries and the creation of new language

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu May 9 00:52:34 PDT 2013

Romy, Yos-

Good example.  Also an example of what happens when power is wielded
without checks & balances, by people who are so enamored of a theory
that it obscures the real world.

The Khmer Rough also routinely slaughtered or interned & tortured anyone
found wearing glasses, because they believed that glasses were a sign of
an attempt to assert status by the intellectual and technical classes.
But the fact is that by middle age, almost all men and probably at least
a majority of women require the use of glasses to read and perform other
short-distance visual tasks.  That inconvenient fact didn't get in the
way of the Khmer Rouge's theory.

Everyone reading this email is a member of the "intellectual and
technical class," even if a large plurality of us are living on working
class income or less.  And the vast majority of us are going to live
long enough to need glasses.  Fortunately none of us has the power to
compel any of us to use words a certain way, even though we can & do
argue (as peers) about that.

-G.

=====