[sudo-discuss] Virtual currency question? In detail...

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon May 6 11:35:44 PDT 2013

Steve, Yo's-

This is off the top of my head & with less than adequate time for
thought, just before I go AFK for a bit, but:

Yes, there are economists working on valuing "ecosystem services," and
that seems to be having some effect, when, for example, a dollar value
is placed on wetlands or forests.

A potentially simpler approach is to just forbid externalities entirely,
or require internalization of externalized costs (e.g. "clean up your
mess or pay someone else to do it, but no walking away from it").  This
has the benefit of also being consistent with the libertarian principle
of voluntary transactions among consenting adults: externalities are
imposition of a transaction cost on third parties without consent.  This
principle works across the ideological spectrum.

In general, "nature builds with few & simple rules", and humans are well
advised to do likewise.  Regulatory Rube Goldberg contraptions are
hardly as useful as straight-up statute laws such as "externalizing of
costs is forbidden, and the fine shall be quadruple damages."

Growthism:

The fact that human economies have not reached a steady state before, is
not proof that they can continue indefinite growth on a finite planet.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future yields."

Or to put it differently, if you can find a way to map an infinite plane
onto the surface of a Euclidean solid, I'll find a way to get you
nominated for a Field Prize (the math equivalent of a Nobel).

Exponential growth always appears as if it can continue forever, right
up to the point where it hits the wall.  And every species eats right up
to the limit of its food supply, and then has a dieoff.  Yes, that would
be oscillation and chaotic behavior: waves of mass death that make WW2
and the Holocaust look like warm-up exercises.

Now we can either surrender to the proverbial forces of nature on this,
or we can use our brains and our free will to create an economic system
that doesn't behave like bulimia.

Albert Einstein and Edward Teller both agree: the exponential function
is humanity's most dangerous math.

Investing vs. speculating:

Speculating is short-term betting on financial transactions without
producing tangible goods and services.  It's parasitic and predatory,
and should be strictly limited by law, and taxed into insignificance.

Speculators are an example of what I call "dissipative structures type
B" (DSBs) that feed off entropy gradients in such a manner as to export
an inflated entropy load to their ambient environments.  (Contrast to
"dissipative structures type A" (DSAs) that don't foist an excessive
entropy load on the ambient.)

Investment is also a "bet" on the future, but it works on longer time
scales and it produces tangible goods and services.

Speculators care about the length of their brokerage's Ethernet patch
cords and fiber optic cables in inches, because every inch at c counts
in their microsecond-trading universe.

Investors could care less about the speed of electrons in patch cords or
photons in fiber, because they're in it for the long haul.

Manipulation is the use of borderline-illegal means to influence markets
and outcomes.  Borderline-illegal ought to count as malfeasance.

More later, I gotta scoot...

-G.

======