[sudo-discuss] Virtual currency question? In detail...

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Mon May 6 10:55:36 PDT 2013

Interesting. A few fine points that seem to be bugging me though, and some
terms that need to be defined better.

Seems to me that you can factor the "ecological sustainability" into the
more traditional models by assigning a value to "ecosystem services" in
just the same way you can assign value to real estate or other natural
resources. The way a wetland filters storm water runoff or protects a
coastline from hurricane damage can be assigned a value in whatever
currency you choose.

I have to object to the statement "the ultimate outcome of an economy is
necessarily a steady state". This is clearly not true based on both the
past history of human society, and an understanding of system theory in
general. There are plenty of systems that never reach a steady state. Some
systems oscillate and some systems have chaotic behavior. Systems that
converge to a steady state are sort of a special case, and I see no
evidence that human economic systems are one of those cases.

Coming at it from a systems engineering point of view, I think that
"investing" or "speculating" means that someone believes that they have a
model which can predict future behavior of the system based on some known
inputs, and chooses to use that model to bet on some future outcome. I'm
not sure exactly what the difference is between investing and speculating.
Perhaps someone can help flesh that out?

"Manipulation" seems to mean that not only do I have a model for the future
behavior of the system based on its inputs, but that I also have control
over some of the inputs.

steve

>>> www.linkedin.com/in/bethencourt
>>> www.logos-press.com/books/biotechnology_business_development.php