[sudo-discuss] reminder: this email list is Google-able

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun May 5 19:06:57 PDT 2013

Rabbit & Yo's-

Here's another vote for "yes we should have a list that's not indexed by
Google."

Given the choice between posting to a list that's a direct
surveillance-feed and one that isn't, many of us will take our
discussion to the latter.  (Would you rather cuddle with your friends
under a surveillance camera, or under a tree?)

But let's not call it "ephemeral," because that word, in this context,
is a white flag of surrender.  It's surrender to the idea that Google is
the one and only keeper of cultural memory, and anything else is merely
transient.  It's surrender to corporate power and the control state.

We should assert the right to our own collective memory, stored on our
own devices, accessible to our own community.  The place for the kind of
broadcast that becomes an appetizer on Big Brother's cannibal menu, is
when the broadcast is something that'll give Big Brother indigestion.

Let Google eat our manifestos, proclamations, and press releases.  But
not our soul-searches, our occasional bickering, our existential angst,
or our vulnerable self-revealing philosophizing about sex, religion, and
the meaning of life.

-G.

=====