[sudo-discuss] Virtual currency question?

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Sun May 5 10:44:11 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I've been reading/following the whole evolution of bitcoins as currency and
I'm still a bitcoin skeptic (I prefer potential rather than spent
processing power :) ).

So I was curious, has anyone in the past tried to create a virtual currency
based on a resource value, like future usage of CPU time (i.e. $1 would
equal an equivalent amount of electricity and hardware wear and tear for x
number of CPU cycles, which could be exchanged either for the cycles, at a
super computer bank or for other currencies)?

To me it seems that bit coin is like a spent CPU resource rather than a
future resource and by flipping the equation to future rather than past
value a currency based on this type of commodity would be useful... any
thoughts?

Ryan Bethencourt

Tel: (415) 794 6463
ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com