[sudo-discuss] Erotica and women's bodies

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun May 5 01:58:37 PDT 2013

Sonja, Andrew, and Yo's-

Whoa there!  All this about "masturbation replacing sex" reinforces an
artificial duality that's ultimately founded in puritanism, in which
masturbation may not be "sinful" but it's "not real sex."

To paraphrase an old Campbell's Soup ad, "It's Sex for One and that one
is you!"

What I personally find bizarre as hell, is the degree to which our
culture is so couple-normative, and the degree to which sexual coupling
is normalized and expected as the primary axis on which lifetime
relationships are based.  This when there's a near-infinite range of
potential upon which humans could base their relationships.

Have you ever seen a couple that appeared to you to be either overtly
dysfunctional or just plain weird in the manner of "what the hell could
s/he possibly see in him/her?!"  The answer usually turns out to be "in
bed," as in: they may be totally incompatible in all other ways, but
they have some unique kink in common, or just screw like mad weasels,
and apparently that's enough to keep them together.

Under all of this is the genetic competition algorithm, that dates back
to bacteria but seems remarkably incapable of producing humans with the
intelligence needed to overcome war, climate change, and all the other
forces of our own making that threaten our near-extinction.  In an era
where "the cybernetically-enhanced human" is a common cultural meme,
surely we can do better!

Anyone who thinks that their precious genes are something special (or
that there is any such thing as a superior race), is in for a rude
awakening: we share well over 99% of our genome with chimpanzees and
bonobos.  Selfish genes helped us get from our birth as a species to the
point where our survival was assured.  Since that time we have
overpopulated and overconsumed the planet, threatening our own continued
existence within our lifetimes.

It's time to move beyond obedience to algorithms that no longer serve us.

-G.

======