[sudo-discuss] Erotica and women's bodies

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Sun May 5 01:22:26 PDT 2013

That study says nothing about whether masturbation does or doesn't replace
sex. It says that teens who masturbate more have more sex, which makes
perfect sense. These are things that you expect to see together, like
umbrellas and rubber boots, but you would never say that the umbrella
caused the boots, or vice versa. And this study says nothing about whether
sex causes masturbation or the other way around.
It also doesn't say anything about masturbation with or without porn
(although I wish it did).
Masturbation is all well and good, of course, but that's not sufficient to
explain why porn is well and good.
I'm super curious. I can't experimentally not watch porn and see what
happens because I already don't, but if any of you do, then you will be
able to tell me what you would be missing.