[sudo-discuss] Power: nyms, part 1: improper nouns.

aestetix aestetix at aestetix.com
Sat May 4 10:23:33 PDT 2013

Just a thought:

I believe the etymology of "proper" is "belonging to", or, in another
sense, being inside a system. Thus we get words like "property"
(something that belongs) and "appropriate" (an action or behavior that
belongs). So to me, it seems natural to ascribe "proper name" to be "a
name which belongs", generally to the person in question.

There is a much larger discussion on who or what words (and what they
represent) belong *to*, of course...