[sudo-discuss] Power: nyms, part 2: the power of names, and self-determination.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sat May 4 06:14:30 PDT 2013

Aestetix & Yo's-

The power of names is that they are unique identifers for persons: at
least "unique" up to the point where the population of a locality
increases to produce duplicates.

The power of names is also that they are usually "given" (assigned)
rather than "taken" (chosen), thereby locking down a person's unique
identity within their local society.

And the liberating power of "nyms" is precisely that they break both
parts of that paradigm:

Just as someone named "Baker" breaks the historic heredity of occupation
by choosing to become a builder or a sailor (this was revolutionary in
its time), someone who is known in his/her circle of peers by his/her
_chosen_ name (usually something that has an echo of linguistic meaning)
breaks the historic linkage between "given name" and "unique identity."

There are two underlying issues here:

One is the right to _choose_ one's name, rather than have one's name
_chosen for him/her_ by one's parents.  This challenges the entire idea,
which is a core element of human cultures with few exceptions, that
one's primary affiliation is with the family of one's parents.  In and
of itself, this isn't a major issue.  Most of us have strong connections
to our parents and no objection to being identifiable as their
offspring.  The exceptions are easily solved when individuals can change
their legal names (for example to escape from being associated with a
parent who was abusive or is a notorious convicted criminal, or to
escape ethnic persecution such as when European Jews fleeing the Nazis
often changed their names along the way).

Two is the right to _confound unique identification_ by using different
"names" for different contexts.

THIS is the nexus of where radical action about names and nyms is needed
today.

You need to go here and read this list, or at least give it a quick scan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claritas_Prizm

The oligarchy has moved beyond the simplicity of hereditary occupation
names, and the obvious discrimination by ethnic names.

Instead, your name, whatever its roots, may be combined with other
factors (collected by Big Data) to assign you to a category such as
"Upper Crust," "Pools & Patios," "Shotguns & Pickups," or "Mobility
Blues."  There are 66 such categories in the Wikipedia article linked
above.  They translate into the new socio-economic caste system (or
perhaps by now we can start using the word "class" again?).

Other demographic analysis companies use other names for similar
categories.  But what they translate to is "metal citizenship."  Are you
familar with the "metal" system that's used to evaluate the performance
of sales people?  Platinum sellers sell the most, and get the most
rewards.  The scale descends through Gold, Silver, and Bronze, the
latter being the lowest performers who get the least rewards and often
get the most penalties such as unpleasant sales territories.  The
cleverly-named demographic categories in the Wikipedia article may as
well be Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze, referring to your status as
a citizen.

If you're a Platinum citizen, you control enormous wealth, you can call
Senators and speak to them when you choose, and you can't be charged
with crimes no matter how egregiously you break the law.

If you're a Gold citizen, you control major wealth, you can't call
Senators but you can call Representatives, and you can be charged with
crimes but never convicted.

If you're a Silver citizen, you own your house or at least pay a
mortgage, you have a high five-figure or low to mid six-figure income,
you can get convicted of crimes but at least you get a decent lawyer to
defend you, and you can write letters to your Representatives & Senators
and get form-letter replies.

If you're a Bronze citizen, you pay rent, you have a low five-figure
income, and if you're charged with a crime you get a public defender
with an overloaded schedule.

Below that might be Lead citizens, who are guilty until proven innocent,
and who, like the nobility itself, have the right to sleep under bridges.

Make no mistake about this: those categories or their euphemistic
equivalents, are used to determine, regardless of your own will, what
opportunities you will be allowed to have, and what opportunities you
will not be allowed to have.  They are used to determine what rewards
will be given to you, and what penalties will be imposed upon you, and
what behaviors you must exhibit and must not exhibit in order to get the
rewards and avoid the punishments.  All of this, without without any
right on your part to challenge, correct, or cross-examine them.  Just
as surely as a "Jewish name" would, until recently, be used to lock you
out of certain careers and occupations.  (And it wasn't that long ago
when an Irish or Italian name was also the basis of discrimination, as
in "No Irish need apply.")

Breaking the unique identifier is a way to revolt against being assigned
to a category that would be used to dictate your choices and determine
your future.

It's as American as apple pie: because we are after all a nation that is
founded upon the principle of _self-determination_, not _social
determinism_.

But let's keep one other thing in mind: there's a system of categories
that is uniquely threatening to the oligarchy, and that is _economic
class_, because it exposes their power for what it really is.  When you
understand your role in the realm of production and consumption, you can
seek out the solidarity of others who have, regardless of whatever other
diversity, this same common ground with you.  And that's the first step
toward doing something about it.

-G.