[sudo-discuss] Power grid: the internet of electricity: was Re: Sudo room should be about creating

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 26 18:14:49 PDT 2013

Anthony, I know you didn't mean "no grids," but I was concerned that a
quick skim of this discussion by anyone who didn't know the material in
depth, might lead to the wrong conclusions.

For an example of the danger of over-centralization:

Consider the conversion of the public switched telephone network to
VOIP, in light of the desire on the part of telcos to reap a huge
honking windfall by selling off their vast real estate holdings.  AT&T
owns about 5,000 central offices, at least one in just about every
medium or larger city in the USA.  Comcast has FIVE nationwide, and AT&T
would love to do likewise, and conversion to VOIP will accomplish just
that.

I'm sure you know what it's called when you centralize something by a
factor of 1,000 to 1:

"A high-value target."

Something that's just begging to be hit hard and taken out, by a crazed
dictator or an international terrorist group, or perhaps by a few
sociopaths of the same kind who run ID theft rings and bank-card skimmer
rings, or perhaps by someone out for the sheer thrill of smashing and
wrecking.

The plans for the "smart power grid" will produce more high-value
targets: regional power control systems, centrally managed, all
internet-connected and just daring the assholes of the world to hit them.

Already, smart meters provide a tasty treat for predators.  I'm aware of
a couple of vulnerabilities that haven't been published, that would
enable a single person with a grudge to black out a neighborhood for a
couple of days.  This situation will compound as smart meters, smart
grids, and stupid regulatory officials converge.

All of this over-centralization, and over-reliance on "smart" things, is
causing our entire society to crawl further and further out on a limb
that becomes more and more fragile every day.  Sooner than later,
something will break, bigtime.

In a very practical sense, we have to be concerned with resilience.

About which more in my next post.

-G.

=====