[sudo-discuss] Spam and also doors

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 25 01:38:49 PDT 2013

The spam I just saw when I checked Recent Changes is spambot material.
This is common on sites that have zero to minimal security for verifying
that new users are even actual humans.

It occurs to me that our getting spammed has something in common with
the discussion about the door control system, and even the Noisebridge
Stalker:  All of these are examples of exceptions to the ideology of "open."

Fact is, we don't really want to be totally "open," because that sets us
up for being a target for parasites and predators.  It's like deciding
that one doesn't need an immune system.

What I'm suggesting here is that the use of language in an uncritical
manner leads to contradictions, and that what we're really going for is
a kind of selectivity.  We want to be open to people who respect our
community and our commons, and closed to those who don't.  Recognizing
the value of selectivity solves the contradiction.

I'd suggest we have some kind of membership filtration that requires
people to have some kind of direct interaction, in-person or via email
or telephone, before they get authorized to get on the wiki or anything
else that comes along with membership.  If anyone objects to that,
they're welcome to sign up for spam-cleaning duty, to scrub that shit
off our site every day.

-G.

=====