[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Re: Fwd: [Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus on Barring Shawn Landden from the Noisebridge space and community (Was Re: On Asking People To Leave (Was Re: Shawn L. ))

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 23 22:48:41 PDT 2013

What I see is a community based on trust & common ground, coming to
terms with a predator in their midst.  (I don't see victim-blaming going
on here.)

The following quote has much in common with the situation around child
molestation:

> And in this case, the victims all (reportedly) said, when they were
> approached about his actions, "I thought I was the only one!"  The
> subtext of a declaration like that is, "I thought there was something
> wrong with me, so I didn't want to tell anyone."

Read up on the Sandusky trial and you see the same thing come up again
and again.  Each of his victims thought that they were the only one, and
that there was something particular to their relationship to Sandusky
that was involved.  Same thing for kids abused by priests.

This is how these types of predators operate.  Charm and divert, divide
and conquer, exploit and abuse.

Predators in human social ecosystems have "tricks" for preying on
others, just as predators in natural ecosystems do.

The item about "Shawn seemed like a pretty decent guy..." points to the
possibility of the "charm" factor: deliberate manipulation in order to
maintain access to potential targets.  (Mnemonic for manipulation:
"Charm" is spelled "c-harm", which is pronounced "see harm".)

Yes I agree this is not the last time we're going to have to deal with
predators.  I agree that NoiseBridge isn't "broken," this is just one of
the risks of a group growing larger and larger.

This doesn't mean the community is broken.  It does mean that there are
limits to the belief in "open," and one of those limits is that we are
not open to predators in our midst.

-G.

=====