[sudo-discuss] Freedom of name: Skunk topics: not lazy, exhausted.

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 17 19:05:24 PDT 2013

Yo's -

(Thanks Revphil)

First, quickly: mobile security: black tape & a ziploc bag aren't
sufficient.

For one thing, they don't stop the GPS device from stalking you wherever
you go.  For another, you'd be surprised how easy it is to recover audio
even through a plastic bag or a layer of clothing.  or example San
Francisco's MUNI buses all have audio & video recording, and they can
pinpoint desired conversations even on a noisy bus.  This I know from
having read the manufacturer's specs.  Better tech is needed, see my
preceding email.

Second, re. "I am lazy and I have given up."  No, you're not lazy.

You're probably just exhausted, probably on chronic low-level overload
most of the time.   And like the movie character trying to outrun the
monster, who finally says to his/her companions, "I can't keep up, just
go on without me...", exhaustion looks like "giving up."

How much sleep does each of us get every night?  Anything less than
seven hours each night, and we're sleep deprived, running on empty, and
cognitively impaired in comparison to when we get enough sleep.  Sleep
dep is pandemic in our society: most Americans are getting less than
6-1/2 hours a night, racking up a chronic sleep deficit, health impacts,
and cognitive impacts.

Notice all the ads for new mattresses?  They try to get people to
believe that buying an expensive mattress will give them "a better
night's sleep".  That's BS of course, but it's also an example of how
the economy feeds off misery.  Overwork, media overload, every waking
minute filled up doing something that _makes money for someone else_,
gradually turn us into sheep, cows, and pigs, lined up to be fleeced,
milked, and porked.

And to keep feeding the Growth Gods, those waking hours have to be
stretched and extended and colonized further.  It's no surprise that one
of the Shiny Things on the near horizon is a pill to do away with the
need for sleep altogether.  In the end it'll have nasty side-effects,
but it will create ever more opportunities to be kept busy at work and
busy consuming, and the side-effects will create more opportunities to
sell more stuff to the New Zombies.

What to do about that:

Take back your time.  Don't feed the parasites & predators, even if they
give you a pleasant little buzz for doing so.  Think of the time people
spend on Facebook or playing Angry Birds or whatever, or chasing the
latest media download.  Most of us have a bunch of little time-wasters
that add up, that we can overthrow and throw out.  Consuming less is an
act of revolt against the oligarchy, and an act of self-empowerment.

Consume less, sleep more.  Make it a point to get at least seven hours a
night, every night.  Your brain will perk up, you'll get your work done
more efficiently, and you'll have more time for whatever you choose.

Solidarity is a better buzz than media.  Solidarity is empowerment.
This is the biggest strength of hackerspaces: getting a bunch of smart
clever nonconformists and dissidents together in one place.  The next
step comes when stuff we build gets out there to the world and starts
changing lives.

Solitude is good for solidarity.  Time alone to just sit & think is
incredibly valuable.  It's the way you de-colonize your headspace.
People are usually more creative than they give themselves credit for.
Solitude and solidarity foster creativity.

The sheer joy of solidarity, solitude, and creativity, is better than
anything the oligarchy can offer us in exchange for submission.  It's
the the best high there is, it's subversive as hell, it's sustainable,
and it gives you back the energy to outrun the monsters and ultimately
to defeat them.

-G.

=====