[sudo-discuss] "Skunk" topic cont'd: better tech & better usage

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 17 18:19:31 PDT 2013

Yo's-

(Thanks Patrick!)

Three things are needed.  One is better tech.  Two is smarter usage.
Three is the courage of our convictions.

1)  Better tech:

YES we need better cellphone tech.  For example:

= Open source source code, with detailed instructions for compiling it
and using it.  (Full and explicit documentation should enable an average
person to follow the steps successfully.)

= Downloadable object code: compiled from the source code by trusted
entities such as EFF, and downloadable from their website, along with
detailed instructions for using it.  (This will bring people onboard who
can't compile from source.)

= Devices that are pre-loaded with the new operating system and
utilities.  These would need to have some means by which users could
connect to trusted sites to verify what was actually on their devices.
(This will make the project accessible to the vast mass of humans who
aren't geeks.)

= While we're at it, the software should include cryptography and
steganography, and improved voice fidelity.

= And the software should be cross-platform: for existing mobile
devices, for laptops with headsets, for desktops with landline phones.
Make it universal and it will spread.

About hardware:  YES we need our own hardware, from a trusted source.

= A "ringer" that cannot be subverted into a microphone.  This part is
easy: an oscillator and resonant buzzer.  (Musical ringtones are
needless nonsense that facilitate using speakers as microphones.)

= Physical switches that cut off the mic, the speaker, the camera, the
GPS sensor, and the inertial sensor (inertial sensors are another
surveillance modality, details on request).  The way to cut off a sensor
is by a) cutting off its power, _and_ b) shorting its signal output to
ground (both steps are required).

On landline phones these functions are collectively known as the
"hookswitch," and you can physically inspect it to see that it is in
fact cutting off the speech circuit when the receiver is on the hook.
Combining all the "sensor OFF" functions into a single switch similar to
a landline "hookswitch" would require a "ten-pole / double-throw"
switch: probably difficult to source that component, but not impossible.

= Another physical switch that cuts off power entirely.

With this combination of switches, you would have the choice of a)
putting the device on "standby" such that it can receive calls but
doesn't do anything else until you turn on the "hookswitch", or b)
turning the device OFF altogether.  "On - Standby - Off."  Simple and
straightforward.

These switches could easily be built into the edge of the device,
between two ridges that protect them from being damaged.  I have a
design in mind for this but don't have the time to post a diagram at
this moment.  Alternately they could be placed under a hinged cover on
the device.

= No "supercapacitors" on the circuit board, that could keep some of the
functions running even when the battery is out, for example functions
that are usable for remotely-triggered surveillance.  It would not
surprise me if supercaps are being used in mobile devices for this
purpose right now, for GPS recording, and audio recording (the content
from which would automatically upload when the device is powered up
again).  Without supercaps on the board, battery-out means device-OFF.

= We have, in the local hackerspace community, people who have been
highly successful in the business of making innovative hardware.  We
need to discuss this with them.  This will lead to a product that can be
mass produced.

Probably the resulting device will be thicker and slightly larger than
present devices.  That's a small price to pay for privacy and the
freedom that comes with privacy.  We can do this!

2)  Smarter usage:

Embedded surveillance has become "popular" because it gives people
things they want: for example the ability to get voicemail messages
transcribed to text in email, so they can "skim" rambling messages more
quickly.  (In fact, figuring out a garbled text translation of a
voicemail message takes longer than listening to the actual audio, but
the marketing makes people believe it's faster.)

This leads to two things:

One is, more better tech.  I was just speaking with a friend who'll
probably post a comment to this thread, and he suggested that we already
have most or all of the open-source tools needed to replace Google
Docs.  We can develop open-source, freedom-and-privacy-enhanced,
replacements for most of the things people use that are connected to the
"predict-you-and-control-you" surveillance economy.

The other is, smarter usage.

Use email headers intelligently: when a topic of conversation changes,
revise the header accordingly, to make it easier for people to find the
new topic.  This is something I've gotten used to doing for work
purposes.  It's easy, it just takes a little thought, and thought is
what differentiates live humans from dead ones.

Keep voicemail messages concise so people can actually listen to the
audio rather than depending on a surveillance-machine to transcribe to
text.  This also eliminates the potential for automated transcription
errors and the hassles they cause.  (Voicemail-to-email should deliver
the actual audio clip to the recipient, so they can choose whether to
dial up their mailbox in the regular way, or listen to their messages on
their computer or other device.  I can demonstrate this in actual use if
anyone's interested.)

Also for email:  Specify priority in the header, e.g. say "urgent" or
"routine," or whatever, and when receiving email, always read stuff
that's marked for higher priority.

Also for email:  Say enough to make your meaning clear the first time.
If someone has to write back to you to ask what you meant, you left
stuff out.  For example, "Let's get dinner after the meeting" is vague:
which meeting, when?  "Let's get dinner after the general meeting this
Wednesday night" is specific enough to be clear the first time.  Leaving
stuff out imposes a burden on the other person: to write back and ask
what you meant, and to hold up their time and attention waiting for a
reply (it also imposes a burden on yourself to reply to their
questions), and contributes to the "overload" factor.

One of the key reasons people do dumb things in their personal
communications (like not responding to voicemail and email) is because
they're on chronic low-level overload.  Part of this is due to dumb
usage practices such as vagueness, that gnaw away at attention with
needless back-and-forth.  Part of it is because the oligarchy tries to
keep us saturated with MEDIA (the oligarchy's messages and content) all
the time, and very often we happily obey.  When our heads are stuffed
full of MEDIA, we don't have time or patience for ordinary communication
from other people.  The answer to this is, reduce the overload: _consume
less media, make more room for the people in your life_.   Also make
more room for solitude and reflection, thinking and daydreaming, and
"doing nothing" while your mental batteries recharge themselves.

3)  The courage of our convictions:  WE can build a new infrastructure
if we choose.

A new internet, new voice and data utilities, new software and apps, new
hardware where needed.

Robust, resilient, freedom and privacy enhanced, and at the same time
safer from predators & parasites and more secure to run critical
infrastructure such as the power grid.

WE have the talent to do this.  It will start small but if it's any good
it will spread.  We can create right-livelihood jobs doing it, that the
oligarchy can't buy out later.

frontier, the open horizon of freedom and community, the vast promise of
technology to liberate people in so many ways.  What happened since that
time was that the parasites & predators took over, to the point where
the "technologies of freedom" became "the technologies of convenience"
and thereby "the technologies of control."

WE do not have to submit.  WE can liberate the digital commons.

-G.

=====