[sudo-discuss] Multiple monitors setup

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 16:48:18 PDT 2013

I have done this for several years on my home Ubuntu machine. (Dual
monitors with HDMI out including audio).
Nvidia cards are much better supported than ATI, by both proprietary and
open-source drivers. I use the proprietary ones. This is my current card,
which works well:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0086UXQES/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2
I use Cinnamon (from Linux Mint) as my window manager. Gnome Shell has a
better handle on workspaces than Unity does in my opinion. Cinnamon is most
configurable of those three wrt workspaces.
Hello Sudoers,

I've got a couple of questions for you savvy hackers on the list.  I'm
looking to setup some multiple monitors stations, both at my place and
eventually at sudo room for data analysis, stats, and AI projects.
 Firstly, can anybody recommend a Linux-based program that handles multiple
monitors well?

I've been using LXDE in Lubuntu, and am reluctant to use Unity/Ubuntu, but
I'd conceivably make a switch to a different display manager if I had to...

Secondly, does anybody have experience setting up >2 monitors for one
machine, without using more than 1 graphics card, in any OS/display
manager?

>From a preliminary search, it seems like there are a few hacks, but I'm
still not able to figure out how exactly to best proceed, and would
appreciate hearing from someone with more experience.

Thanks,
Sam