[sudo-discuss] 3/5 Microcontroller Project Hack Night: Wrap-up

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 14:06:35 PST 2013

Yay! I want to come and learn next week!

wrt scheduling, please check out http:sudoroom.org/calendar for any
potential conflicts, and make the recurring event (
http://sudoroom.org/wp-admin). Let me know if you need any help with that!

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Morten H. D. Fuglsang <vallebo at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Good work sudo peepz!
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM, <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> We had a good session last night, with a mushroom environmental control
>>> system and an RGB color mixer both advancing to the next operational stage,
>>> a beer brewing robot gaining a good amount of ground on its grainy prey,
>>> and a wood gasifier control system not getting much attention at all as the
>>> maker was having such a good time helping others out and generally talking
>>> shop.  Also had a first-time solderer successfully execute a cut-and-solder
>>> list on some heavy amperage connections, learned how to google our
>>> debugging problems into submission, extolled the virtues of power
>>> transistor arrays, and determined experimentally that it probably isn't a
>>> good idea to put a glass jar of process water in a bench vise.  Throw in
>>> some chips and salsa, and a good night was had by all.
>>>
>>> I'd like to make this a recurring thing and build momentum in the cycle
>>> of getting an idea, turning it into a project, building the project, and
>>> coming away with more and better ideas.  To facilitate this, we could take
>>> over the newly (?) vacated alternating tuesday meetup spot at sudo room.  I
>>> propose we break it up into one night a month for fresh ideas and new
>>> entrants, one night a month for refining and implementing more developed
>>> ideas.  Here is what I propose:
>>>
>>> Microcontroller Project Hack Night
>>> @sudo room
>>> March 26 @ 5:30PM - 11PM
>>> April 23 @ 5:30PM - 11PM
>>> May 21 @ 5:30PM - 11PM
>>> "A shared worktime for tackling microcontroller and robotics projects.
>>> Bring that complex project you've been putting off finishing and hunker
>>> down around the communal soldering iron and serial terminal for a
>>> high-productivity, high-spirited build night. Both independent work and
>>> collaboration strongly engouraged, as are snacks and other refreshments."
>>>
>>> Basic Microcontroller Hack Night
>>> @sudo room
>>> April 9 @ 5:30PM - 11PM
>>> May 7 @ 5:30PM - 11PM
>>> "A good night for both beginning and more experienced microcontroller
>>> users. Emphasis is on first principles, trying out new sensors and
>>> actuators, testing out new ideas that haven't yet found a home in a
>>> project, and cracking open black boxes of all sorts for fresh ideas.
>>> Eventually we will have low-cost starter kits available to get beginners
>>> hacking right away."
>>>
>>> Are there any scheduling conflicts?  Do people want to meet up more than
>>> twice a month or does this seem like enough to satisfy your need for group
>>> hacking sessions in this area?  My theory is that we can always meet more
>>> than this, but scheduling too many (ie weekly) meetups will max out peoples
>>> bandwidth and result in decreased cohesion between attendees.  I will also
>>> work on getting this added to the calendar in the near future.

>>> Hol