[sudo-discuss] Skymall Workshop / Skillshare: Basic Concrete Slab *Sat March 16*, 10am onward

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 5 15:04:13 PST 2013

Funnily enough, I have a mixer (and so did one of the guys behind PGP,
as he proudly showed us one afternoon at a hacker gathering many years
ago).  And I have concrete skillz.  Whether I have enough time to help
out is another question, but we'll see...  What city is this in, and
approx. what dimensions are the slab?

A few things to keep in mind about flatwork (slabs) (I'm sure Bobby
already knows all this stuff, I'm just putting it out there for general
knowledge):

Ideal case is to put plastic sheeting below the entire slab, else the
water in the concrete will be absorbed into the ground prematurely and
weaken the concrete.  If this can't be done, spread about an inch of
sand on the ground, and then wet down the sand just before pouring the
concrete.  Rebar should be held off the ground by being placed on small
standoffs (commonly available at lumber yards: 2" concrete cubes with
wires sticking out from the top), otherwise the rebar will rust from the
ground inward.  Concrete should be mixed as stiff as possible: excess
water weakens it severely (the way ready mix companies get that "lentil
soup" consistency is with chemicals known as "superplasticizers" not
with water).  After finishing the surface, it should be covered with
plastic tarp or sprayed with curing compound, otherwise sprinkled
consistently after the surface is hard, for at least a few days and
ideally for about 2 weeks: this to prevent evaporation of the mix
water.  Concrete should always "cure", never "dry" to harden.

-G.

=====