[sudo-discuss] Dystopia Watch: Surveillance drones coming to a cafe near you.

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 5 13:45:48 PST 2013

Re. Daniel Finlay re. resonant frequency of the diaphragm of the mic:

Sounds good to me, and since the mics in question are likely to be tiny
condenser mics with tiny diaphragms, the frequency needed would be
rather high, possibly above audible range (there's an equation for
calculating this).  Higher frequencies are more directional than lower
frequencies, meaning that they can be "aimed."

It might be possible to use resonance to just outright destroy the mics
as well.  (Think of an opera singer singing a note that shatters a wine
glass.)  IMHO fair game, self-defense.

Consider a wearable device that includes a discreet "audio cannon" that
emits a chirp of a frequency above audible range, or perhaps a sweep of
frequencies, loudly enough for the resonance to break the diaphragm of
any non-consensual microphone within let's say six feet in front of you
and a radius of a few feet around the center of where the device is aimed.

People could also use this to destroy any concealed mics in their own
devices, for example the hidden mics in laptops.  ("If I want to record
audio on my laptop I can plug in an external mic, and unplug it when I'm
done, thank you very much! ;-)"

This is basically just electronics, should be fairly easy to design &
build.  Sine wave oscillator, amplifier, tiny audio transducer.  Making
it wearable and stylish will take more work, and making it catchy enough
to go viral will be interesting.  TV-B-Gone, anyone?;-)

-G.

=====