[sudo-discuss] roof access / wires

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Sat Jun 29 10:47:56 PDT 2013

all sounds good - we should avoid having ground loops where possible since it could throw off low voltage signals if there is strong EMI.  do you know offhand a good electrical code reference?  i have ugly's manual but haven't really done much with it...

Jun 28, 2013 11:04:08 AM, steveberl at gmail.com wrote:
Also need to consider grounding/lightning protection for anything on the rooftop.
>Best bet would be to use any existing AC power that is already up there, and save this drop for low voltage, data, RF, etc. Ground everything to the AC power system ground that is hopefully already up there.

>I assume the old (steam?) pipe is metal? It would be good to figure out if there is electrical continuity from end to end of the pipe. If it is, then grounding one end to the building power ground should be sufficient. If the conduit is not electrically continuous from end to end, it might be best to make sure both ends are grounded, or find out where the gap is and bridge across it with some kind of jumper.

>-steve
>
>On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>Maybe a couple of RG/6 coax cables also?
>It may not be cool to run 120VAC in the same conduit with the low voltage stuff. Check the electric code.

-steve

>On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com> wrote:
>

>Hi folks,

Sounds like there's been some interest at various times in putting stuff on the roof.  I think we should install a waterproof junction box with a few power and data lines on the roof.  There is an old ventilation (steam?) port by the CNC router that I assume we could drop the cables through.  I'm thinking 120VAC up, 12 or 24VDC up/down for solar power, ethernet, and USB should suffice.  I bet there's already 120VAC up there but not sure if we are allowed to slurp directly.  Thoughts?  So far there have been discussions on mesh node, solar panels, uav control, air quality monitoring to name a few.

cheers,

hol

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org