[sudo-discuss] state of the room

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Wed Jun 19 16:22:37 PDT 2013

Hey Jordan,

I'll be there in about 45 minutes, but just for a bit to grab a 12V pump I tested at lunch for the Garden Sentry.  Will you be there in that timeframe?  I assembled the 5-tier shelf, skipping a tier to accommodate large objects.  It seems to be of sound construction, and it could still be bolted to the wall for safety if we start stacking them 1.5 high.  At the OMI shop erik bolted a similar one directly to the wall with no support from below and so far it has withstood moderate loads.  I commend your continued efforts to optimize the space and would like to brainstorm with you soon, maybe next week if you're not around when I drop by this afternoon.  It would be nice to combine things from our supply shelves into more useful configurations, like continuing the trend of actually putting together the various computer parts that we have into actual working terminals, maybe put a bank of them out in the common area for shared use by the public school.  As for AC adapters I think alot of those will be distributed as supplies for mesh nodes so that takes care of that.  Some of the more mechanical/pneumatic stuff could go to the OMI shop once it's rearranged and is hosting active projects that need hardware (i recommend anyone interested in open hardware get on the OMI mailing list - they usually have workparties saturday afternoons) more than can be hosted at sudo room.  I see alot of space that's taken up in orphaned projects too, but I know it can be a long time between work sessions so looking at the unused consumables/materials/misc donations as the first order of clearing or storaging makes sense to me.  We do have those filing cabinets that could be used as cubbies with no additional investment in time, other than installing latches and/or locks if we're going to charge for them.  +1 on having clean working spaces.  It's much better to clean up your own projects than someon else's - not just for you but for the person who would otherwise have to track down all the pieces they left out.  I see good turnover in the milk crate cubby system for the most part so that's been a big plus.  Maybe if we charge for lockers, the amount of space should be bigger than a milk crate.  Or we could reduce the number of milk crate cubbies and use the crates for beer bottles ;) or misc wires.  Anyway I think we're converging pretty well on an organized layout thanks to do-ocratic reorganizing of sudo room

cheers,
hol