[sudo-discuss] BAD IDEA Re: Opt out of PRISM

Matthew Harbowy hbergeronx at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:17:29 PDT 2013

I'm mystified how any of this helps.

Even in a fully encrypted world, the destination ip and where it came from
is not encrypted. Like with phone numbers, if you make a peer-to-peer
connection and they can correlate it with any other information
(geotagging, etc) they don't need to decrypt or even know what the two
people are talking about.

I strongly suspect that the decoding of content, while it may be of use, is
not sufficiently advanced. There's no agreed protocol for semantic network
evaluation. "The crow flies at midnight" still is (and will likely be,
forever) a completely secure form of communication because it requires a
realm of shared meaning. It means just as much to a NLP computer as "darmok
and jelad at tanagra"

But connections are already neatly encoded. Lumeta has nailed this, and I
saw early prototypes of their Internet networking mapping before this was
spun off from Lucent in the mid 1990's, and you can see the results of this
work  at http://www.cheswick.com/ches/map/

Think about it. Do you think, just from types of cars (no license plates,
no text or color info, just (sedan, hatchback, pickup, SUV) moving between
addresses, you couldn't figure out who worked for a particular corporation?
While big business is still stumbling around in the dark, the creation of
accurate, time-dependent maps of all electronic networks tells more about
people than any other piece of information, because it is not subject to
translation error during the process of encoding and analyzing semantic
content. And the precious content which is protected by these tools doesn't
even need to be decoded. They can do that later, after the arrest, to
retconn a story about how they knew.

Putting together lists like this of "what you can do" just makes n00bs that
much easier to track by their metadata. If Ford and GM put tracking chips
in all their cars and you reacted by driving around only Yugos, DeLoreans,
or a DIY car, doesn't that make your metadata easier to track?

So, for my vote, following recommendations like this is a terrible idea.

Matt.