[sudo-discuss] scanning electron microscope

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 13:43:12 PDT 2013

Everything Jake said is correct but I would add that Noisebridge has licked the vibration problem by building the cantilevered shelf. Our latest problem is that we need a sputter coater and that we have a lot of bad apples degenerating the tools and burdening the community with problems. If we could solve this latter problem, there would be a lot more incentive to pour human energy into the SEM room. I haven't given up on building out our SEM room, I've just had to prioritize my life around the ambitions that I think will be most successful or productive.  We need to solve some big problems with Noisebridge before getting entangled in the minutia of building a science lab among the chaos. In some ways, solving the social problems at Noisebridge are a more challenging and interesting problem set than the science lab.

I will be happy to help with the sudo room SEM, especially if they get a sputter coater. In fact, we only need one sputter coater to share between hacker spaces. I guess we could just have a bake sale and buy one for $1500 to $3k.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone