[sudo-discuss] scanning electron microscope

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Jun 9 18:33:20 PDT 2013

sudoroom is being offered a scanning electron microscope (by Dr. X).

it comes with all the stuff and actually works, but it requires a bit of
knowledge to operate it.  unfortunately Mr. X is not available to train us
how to operate it, however Chris Murphy may be available and knows how it
works.

It would take up about 30 square feet of space including the place where
the operators sit or stand.  It is not computerized like the one at
Pumping Station One, it is an analog machine.  Pictures can be taken at
high resolution by long-exposure photo of the CRT on the front of the
machine, or we can build an analog data importer to reconstruct images at
much higher resolution if we desire.

The cash price of this SEM is $10 in gas and tolls, I will provide the
vehicle and movement.  The rest of the price of the machine in blood and
sacrifice is in the time and energy to learn its intricicies and
idiosynchracies while learning about vacuum pumps and vacuum oil, and how
not to let vacuum oil contaminate your vacuum and get all over your
filament.

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/SEM

ironically, one of the reasons it doesn't work as well at noisebridge is
because the whole place shakes when the city buses ride by.  and sudoroom
is apparently directly over the bart tunnel so i wonder how different it
will be.

-jake