[sudo-discuss] new occuption in SF: #gezigardens

Eddie Che eddiemill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 19:11:36 PDT 2013

Oy, greetings. First of all that Eye is really hateful, let's tone
that down a little! I've been against the eye because it is oppressive
so, chill. @Jehan.

Building will increase the population in San Francisco. Not house the
houseless and not bring down rents. These are upscale (condos?)
apartments, bringing the added keyword of gentrification.

I like the Spain example. Government here (County, City, State, and
National) could give land that is being held by it, eg around highway
off-ramps or hills or wherEVER to folks who are disenchanted with...
corporate rule.

"liberating land from private control and corporate interests and for
the common good of all people."

Can we hack that?
EMCHE, in a tree.

PS by the way, surprising about SF's vacant housing units @
https://www.baycitizen.org/blogs/pulse-of-the-bay/sf-leads-bay-area-vacant-homes/

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM, GtwoG PublicOhOne <g2g-public01 at att.net> wrote:

> Imagine a news headline saying "Good news for the economy: food prices are
> up for the third month in a row!"  Food-owners would celebrate, and
> foodless-rights advocates would protest, but nothing would change unless the
> entire system of food-speculation was curbed.
>
> Or imagine this:  Dateline: Marinaleda, Spain.  Municipal government GIVES
> dispossessed people the land and building materials to build their own
> homes, and pays contractors to provide assistance with the high-skill parts
> such as plumbing.  This is REAL and it's happening NOW.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22701384
>
> "In the wake of Spain's property crash, hundreds of thousands of homes have
> been repossessed. While one regional government says it will seize
> repossessed properties from the banks, a little town is doing away with
> mortgages altogether. ...  In Marinaleda, residents like 42-year-old
> father-of-three, David Gonzalez Molina, are building their own homes.
>
> "The town hall in this ... town an hour-and-a-bit east of Seville, has given
> David 190 sq m (2,000 sq ft) of land. ...  The bricks and mortar are also a
> gift... from the regional government of Andalusia. ... Only once his home is
> finished will he start paying 15 euros (£13) [approx. $26] a month, to the
> regional government, to refund the cost of other building materials. ...
>
> "...[The town's] Mayor Juan Manuel Sanchez Gordillo is known for occupying
> land belonging to the wealthy in Andalusia. ... Last summer, he and his
> left-wing union comrades stole from supermarkets and handed out the food to
> the poor.  "I think it is possible that a home should be a right, and not a
> business, in Europe", he argues. Mayor Sanchez Gordillo pours scorn on
> "speculators"....
>
> ---
>
> Think outside the box, and you might end up thinking like Mayor Sanchez
> Gordillo.
>
> What happens when home prices and rents keep increasing while average income
> levels have barely budged since 1974?
>
> What happens to the lives of people, when the health of an economy in large
> part depends on relentless increase in the price of a vital necessity that
> is also a fixed resource, such as the square footage in which to eat, sleep,
> and wash?
>
> Meanwhile developers are building "luxury" apartments, but the number of
> "affordable" units isn't specified and always turns out to be less than
> first claimed.  How is it that anyone has a "right" to luxury, at the
> expense of others' poverty and homelessness?
>
> At root, this isn't a race issue of black and white, though the guardians of
> privilege benefit mightily when it's framed that way, and people who have
> common cause are divided against each other.  At root, it's a class issue of
> green and red.
>
> Land speculation is a broken machine running an obsolete operating system,
> that's begging to get "rooted."

> [...]

Eddie Miller, BU '10
eddiemill at gmail.com | 440-935-5434
Facebook.com/eddiemill | Twitter.com/eddiemill