[sudo-discuss] Sudo Kids tonight in the radio room :)

Raymond Lai raymond.wm.lai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 15:16:07 PDT 2013

Romy,

Most Excellent points.

In my years of teaching technology students often knew more than I did
about certain subjects. So I found ways to make those kids leaders for that
lesson. These kids were often quieter and more introverted, but for the
duration of the lesson, they were knowledge holders and shared it with
their peers as the whole class advanced together.

In peer re-view, I witnessed the difficulty my fellow more traditional
teachers had in allowing students who obviously had an indepth knowledge a
place in which they could showcase their knowledge. It was as if they were
too invested in a model in which the information only flowed
unidirectionally from teacher to student.

One of the promises of technology is the disruption of entrenched models.
And education is no different. Students have a dizzying variety of options
when it comes to their learning nowadays. And often learn faster than
teachers can teach a class. New successful teachers in this environment
must embrace and utilize these new paradigms.

So students can now learn faster than a teacher can teach and at their own
pace. What role does a modern teacher have in this brave new world?

It has been my experience that teachers serve not only as knowledge holders
but (and more importantly) as contextualizers of information. And as I
eventually realized in my technology classes (filled with students who
could learn the application on their own and faster than I could teach),
the value I provided was an ethical one; I was modeling how to be a
responsible cyber-citizen. How we treat one another and recognize and work
with trolls, cyber-bullies, and inappropriate behavior was my greatest
contribution to technology literacy.

:)

so yes, a new emerging model is predicated on listening and learning from
one another across generation and it is for us to discover what is of value
to teach.

ray
parent & teacher of Atom & Iris