[sudo-discuss] Sudouino328 PCB Design

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Sun Dec 22 19:51:37 PST 2013

Hey Jake,

No FTDI chip onboard for this one, just shown on the attachment to help lay out the connections which are 6-pin TTL serial.  I'd like to keep everything through-hole for the first sudouino so it can work as a kit for newbies, and since I personally don't even know how to SMD solder, all the work done on it so far assumes no SMD components.  I remember encouraging you a few weeks ago to take the lead for the sudouino 2 board around the ATMega32U4 as you've suggested using this chip previously.  I think there are many cool things that can be done with it, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with to accompany that chip.  In the meantime I'll continue work with the 328p as planned in order to bring this board online as soon as possible.

As far as connectors, I probably won't use any myself and I think we should sell some boards without them.  I do agree with Steve on having an option for screw terminals for the switched loads, and either a screw terminal or a barrel jack for DC power input to the board.  Whatever we think would be the most popular, I'll space the holes accordingly so the PCB design will accommodate either way. So it looks like we're up to 8+ different packages based on 3 different choices  - 3,3V / 5V, kit / pre-assembled, bare holes / terminals.

What kind of connectors would the most people use for power in and out?

Cheers,
Hol

Hi Hol,