[sudo-discuss] Peer Production Project

Eddan Katz eddan at sudoroom.tv
Sat Dec 21 16:29:08 PST 2013

Hi Sudo folk.

Happy Holidays. Hope everyone's getting some quality time with friends and family. and Happy New Year to those of you already heading off somewhere for vacation.

2141 Broadway

Looking ahead to 2014, this email is about buying and rental possibilities for the current building 2135-2143 Broadway with actual numbers. If you'd like to get in touch with the landlords directly, you can email Laurie Cooperman Rosen at lscoop at comcast.net; or call George Rosen at 510-504-4259.

I wanted to update everyone on a meeting Matt & I had with the landlord earlier this month about the possibilities regarding renting/selling/co-op equity of the building where Sudo Room and the Bay Area Public School are currently located. Matt - please correct any of the information that I may have missed or gotten wrong in the inset text below.

Since the Bay Area Public School and Sudo Room may (or may not) imminently be moving to the Omni or other location, a new list has been created to further discussion and coalition-building that will continue to take place in the current space at http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/hall. This proposal, to be very clear, does not and will not interfere with any of those plans to move nor with plans to stay at the current location decided by the collective of collectives.

Below are the notes regarding how much the southern section of the 2143-2145 Broadway have been rented for in the past, how much they're willing to rent each room individually, the whole floor as a whole, and a graduated occupancy/rate proposal that gives time to attract other potential collaborators visiting the space, and getting a reduced price for the rental of that whole section of $6,500/month for 3 months. Otherwise, according to the proposal discussed, rental of the floor will go up to the market rental price of $8,500 at the end of that 3 months. The other option that has been discussed is putting together a co-op sale where groups and individuals can buy equity in that section of the building, either as a real estate transaction, or as crowd-funding equity shares. Group and individual ownership will participate in any profits and in the governance of the building.

Peer Production / Sudo Hall

The resulting community will be provisionally called Peer Production. In order to honor the pivotal role that Sudo Room and the other people that first moved into this building have accomplished for the community, the proposed discussion list will be called Sudo Hall. It will also be a priority of the Peer Production project to reach out to the innovative and inspiring stories of the other tenants that are already in the building - including Sound Room, Uptown Kitchen, Yummmeee, and the Pan Theater, among others.

In terms of values, integrating with the community we're in and remaining inclusive to attract a broad spectrum of types of people will take priority over political posturing and ideological orthodoxy. The community invitation to join is intended to be welcoming to for-profit, non-profit, small partnership, crowd-fund equity start-up, cooperative corporation, and any other structure under which people best think they can get done what they want to achieve.

The objective of Peer Production {Sudo Hall} still aspires to the core of Sudo Room's early description:
Doing stuff together to make our community more openly accessible.
Peer Production, I believe, is the common thread of the innovative and socially conscious projects that have emerged.

If you'd like to talk about this further or just find out what's going on - you can join the Sudo Hall mailing list at http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/hall. We'll take it offline from the sudo-discuss list, but I just wanted to let folks know that this discussion just got started. First order of business is getting more photos and more data about the place. Sudo Room has started a good page at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/2141_Broadway and hopefully there can be more valuable and useful information that will be available through Peer Production and Sudo Hall.